- Computer Appreciation/Introduction to Microsoft Window
- Working with MS Word:
- Creating and formatting a document (page layout and pagination, Tables,
Newspaper/Magazine Column text, drawing & inserting graphics)
- Editing in Word (Spellings, Track Changes, Footnotes, Citation and
- Working with InDesign
- Working with Adobe Illustrator
- Group Practical Session
- Working with Photoshop
- Pre-Press & Web/Digital Publishing
Book Publishing: An Overview
Publishing begins with the conception of idea by an author, followed by manuscript generation, manuscript assessment, and origination and design (typesetting, formatting, illustration and graphic design).
Editing is a multitasking activity and is carried out progressively from manuscript stage to gallery stage. At the training, we were taught that these stages mentioned can be achieved using any of following mediums discussed below:
Introduction to Microsoft Windows
Microsoft Word is the word processing component of the Microsoft Office Suite. It is used primarily to enter, edit, format, save, retrieve and print documents.
To use the Microsoft Window effectively we were taught that it requires one being vast and conversant with the follow:
- Identify the main components of the user interface.
- Identify the purpose of the commands on the menu bar.
- Explain the difference between copy and cut.
- Copy, cut and paste text.
- Work with the buttons on the toolbar.
- Work with the pointer in a program.
- Work with text and characters in a program.
- Explain the use of primary keyboard shortcuts and key combinations.
- Perform basic tasks by using a word processor.
- Edit and format text.
- Work with pictures.
- Work with language tools (spell check, dictionary, and thesaurus).
- Identify the various benefits of using word processing software.
Adobe InDesign CC is page-layout software that takes print publishing and page design beyond
InDesign is a desktop publishing program that incorporates illustration capabilities into its interface.
It also allows for cross platform interaction with Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat.
On this, we learnt the following:
- Getting Started: Begin by opening Adobe InDesign CC.
On a PC, click Start > Programs > Adobe InDesign CC > Adobe InDesign CC.
On a Mac, click Macintosh HD > Applications > Adobe InDesign CC.
Setting up your document correctly from the start will make your job much easier as you work through your project. This will require some advanced planning.
- Setting up the Document: To create a new document, click File > New > Document. This
will open the Document Setup dialog box.
Here you will be able to set up the correct page size, margins, and page columns for your document.
This is a vector based application that is used in placing the page layout, design Logo, draw characters, etc.
Illustrator offers a new gradient type called Free form, which provides new colour blending capabilities to create richer and photorealistic gradients that look more natural.
Freeform gradient provides you the flexibility to create colour stops at any place in your object. You can add, move, and change the colour of colour stops to seamlessly apply gradients to objects.
Creating a freeform gradient fill is a simple and efficient way to create a smooth colour gradation.
You create and manipulate your documents and files using various elements, such as panels, bars, and windows. Any arrangement of these elements is called a workspace.
The workspaces of the different applications in Creative Cloud look similar so that you can move between the applications easily.
You can adapt Illustrator to the way you work by selecting from several pre-set workspaces or by creating one of your own.
When you launch Illustrator, the Home screen appears, which includes the following contents:
- A wide range of tutorials to help you quickly learn and understand the concept, workflow,
tips, and tricks
- Popular presets to get you started with the new documents quickly
- Recent documents
The contents of the Home screen are tailored based on your familiarity with Illustrator and your Creative Cloud membership plan.
Home Screen Interface
The Home screen shows the following tabs and buttons on the left:
- Home: Click this tab to open the Home screen.
- Learn: Click this tab to open a list of basic and advanced tutorials on Illustrator to get started
with the application.
- Create New: Click this button to create a new document. You can create a document by
selecting one of the numerous templates and presets available in Illustrator. For more
information, see Create documents.
- Open: Click this button to open an existing document in Illustrator.
In addition, you can use the following icons to navigate between the document and the Home screen:
- Home: Opens the Home screen from the document.
- Back: Opens the document from the Home screen.
Photoshop unlike other vector based applications only has one art board. It is a creative based application.
Unlike other vector based applications that use pencil to redefine our image, Photoshop use a tool known as Quick tool selection to redefine its image which helps in removing the background and other parts of the image that are of less important to us.
Photoshop Elements offers a host of photo automation features that lets you do amazing things with your photos. Get started with auto-generated photo and video slideshows and collages that are created just for you and delivered upon launch.
New Skills Acquired
- Creating and formatting a document (page layout and pagination, Tables, Newspaper/Magazine Column text, drawing & Inserting graphics) in Microsoft Word
- Editing in Microsoft Word (Spellings, Track Changes, Footnotes, Citation and Bibliography).
- Creating and formatting a document (page layout and pagination, Tables, Newspaper/Magazine Column text, drawing & Inserting graphics) in InDesign.
- Creating and formatting a document (page layout and pagination, Tables, Newspaper/Magazine Column text, drawing & Inserting graphics) in Adobe Illustrator.
- Creating and illustrating, and Inserting graphics) in Adobe Photoshop.
The Contributions of the Training to the Knowledge
This Training is successful because learning of MS Word on creating and formatting a document (Page Layout and Pagination, Tables, Newspaper/Magazine Column Text, Drawing & Inserting Graphics), Editing in Words (Spellings, Track Changes, Footnotes, Citation and Bibliography) contributes to my knowledge immensely as an editor in writing beautiful and relevant illustrations for the cover and the content of the book, determining the page extent of the manuscripts, mastering the mechanics of the language, widening my knowledge in scientific and technical (academic) editing, broadening my understanding in front-matter pages and end-matter pages and using Track Changes to do an editing.
Knowledge on InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop will make you work successfully with the Graphic Designers to determine the kind of designs and illustrations relevant to the content and cover of the manuscripts.